When a mesothelioma diagnosis comes to a family, financial hardship is never far behind.
Treatment for this rare, aggressive cancer is expensive. The patient may have to leave their job, or a family member may have to stop working to become a caregiver. Though you did nothing wrong, you’ll find the bills starting to pile up.
Mesothelioma is an almost entirely preventable disease. Today’s cases almost always arise because a big business decided not to care for public health long ago. People harmed by asbestos exposure are entitled to compensation, but even now, the companies responsible do not make the process easy.
That’s why you shouldn’t have just any lawyer represent you in a mesothelioma case. Asbestos lawsuits are some of the most complex litigation there is. An experienced mesothelioma attorney will provide your family with important advantages.
Mesothelioma law firms know:
- All the options for mesothelioma compensation. Should you seek a trial or an out-of-court settlement? Should you file a claim to workers’ comp or the VA? What about asbestos personal injury trusts? A mesothelioma lawyer can help you evaluate all your options.
- How statutes of limitations are interpreted for asbestos cases in different states. You have a limited amount of time to file a mesothelioma claim. Contact a qualified lawyer as soon as possible. If the time limit is up in your state, you may be able to file in another.
- What products and worksites caused asbestos exposure. If you can’t recall all the details about how you were exposed to asbestos, corporate lawyers will use that against you. Fortunately, mesothelioma law firms have archival resources to help you reconstruct your exposure history.
- How to make this process as easy as possible for you. This is no time to be traveling back and forth to hearings and court dates. You need lawyers who will meet with you in your home and make sure you don’t have to go to court unless it’s absolutely necessary.
Mesothelioma Legal Information
The American companies that made and used asbestos products knew that asbestos is dangerous as far back as the 1930s. But they didn’t stop using asbestos until the 1980s. That’s half a century of negligence that dozens of companies are responsible for.
Mesothelioma lawyers work to hold companies accountable for failing to warn workers and consumers about the dangers of asbestos exposure.
A trustworthy asbestos attorney will never guarantee a certain outcome. Instead, they will evaluate the unique facts of your case and explain your options for legal compensation.
It may be possible to get financial compensation without ever stepping foot in court. Or you may have a chance of receiving a large award from a jury verdict if your case goes to trial.
Every mesothelioma case is different, but one thing is certain: You’ll have the best chance of success by working with an experienced mesothelioma lawyer. You should seek out a law firm with nationwide reach and a proven track record in asbestos litigation.
Mesothelioma attorneys can secure compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Loss of income
- Costs for professional caregivers
- Expenses of traveling for treatment
- Therapy and grief support
- Loss of consortium
A mesothelioma law firm will help you organize the medical and financial records related to your diagnosis. This will help you build your case for receiving financial compensation.
How Much Do Mesothelioma Attorneys Cost?
Reputable asbestos lawyers work on a contingency-fee basis. When you hire them, they agree to take a set percentage of the compensation you win as payment for their legal services. That means you pay nothing out of pocket, and if your case is not successful, you don’t owe the lawyers anything.
Established law firms will offer you a free initial consultation, where you can discuss the exact terms of the contingency fee before deciding to hire them.
Verdicts Secured by the Best Mesothelioma Lawyers
Mesothelioma attorneys have helped hundreds of thousands of plaintiffs pay off their medical bills and provide a stable future for their families. Most asbestos lawsuits are settled out of court, but some go all the way through trial and result in multimillion-dollar awards:
- $250 million to a retired steel worker in 2003. He had worked at a U.S. steel plant in Gary, Indiana, surrounded by asbestos insulation.
- $48 million to the family of a retired construction superintendent in 2012. He had been exposed to asbestos in cement and other building materials at hundreds of construction sites.
- $18.6 million to the family of a retired tire plant worker in 2014. He had worked with asbestos-containing equipment at a factory in Tyler, Texas.
Who Do Mesothelioma Lawyers Sue?
Mesothelioma lawyers file claims against asbestos-product manufacturers and employers that failed to protect people from asbestos exposure. Sometimes this means filing a claim with an asbestos bankruptcy trust, and sometimes it involves filing a lawsuit.
You will not be suing the government or the military. If you were exposed to asbestos during military service, you may have the option to file for VA disability compensation or sue the manufacturers who sold asbestos products to the military.
When Should I Contact a Mesothelioma Law Firm?
Your health and your family should be your top priorities, but focusing on these areas is difficult if you don’t also have your finances in order. You should consult an asbestos attorney about your options for compensation as soon as possible.
Asbestos lawsuits are time-sensitive. In most states, if you wait one or two years after a mesothelioma diagnosis or death, you will forfeit your right to sue. Then your family will be left footing the bill for asbestos cancer.
Lawyers who specialize in asbestos-related diseases know how to navigate this complex area of the law. You will want a legal expert by your side during all the challenging times ahead.
3 Cited Research Articles
- Bloomberg News. (2003, March 31). U.S. Steel Loses Asbestos Lawsuit. Retrieved from http://articles.latimes.com/2003/mar/31/business/fi-steel31
- Allen, R. (2012, June 27). Union Carbide Mesothelioma Lawsuit Results in $48M Verdict. Retrieved from https://www.aboutlawsuits.com/union-carbide-mesothelioma-lawsuit-29319/
- PR Newswire. (2014, September 8). Dallas Jury Awards $18.6 Million to Family of Deceased Tire Builder. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dallas-jury-awards-186-million-to-family-of-deceased-tire-builder-274367371.html